Thursday, August 30, 2007

On leaving home…

Since I was doing my graduation, I was preparing for this. It was 27th April of year 2007 when I was in Nagpur to face my first interview for job. It was for The Hitavada. Mr. Vijay Phanshikar, Editor of The Hitavada held my interview. I was so keen to join the job, that when he asked me whether I am ready to join from 1st may, just 3 days after my interview, I said “Yes Sir, I can!”
But the destiny’s arrangement was poles apart. It took two and a half month for me to get appointment letter. Meanwhile, I got my BA final result which was fairly promising. I resolute to utilize these days for my own mental and personality built up. My blogs started between these days, my study regarding literature for post graduation began and I was waiting badly for the result from The Hitavada. One week after my result when I was quiet optimistic about the appointment letter, dad told me to get admission in college for further studies as mere wait was slavish act. The study of Law became my next goal and I reached Law College for admission. It wasn’t that difficult to get admission in Law College as my percentage was enough for spot admission. So, the authorities asked me to fill up the form and fees for the first semester. I submitted the form on 29th June but can’t pay the money as the clerk was not present. It went on 1st July and non stop raining forbidden me to get out of the house on that day. So it went on 3rd of July. This time it was fixed. It was Ganesh Chaturthi; the pious day. I was fully prepared. The money was with me; but I was not willing to pay it in the college. One ray of hope was present about the journalism job. I passed a long time. And finally when it was 11.30, I was tying my shoe-lace, the cell phone rang.
“Hello…”
“Is this Chaitanya Deshpande?”
“Yes!”
“I’m Alok Tiwari from Hitavada press. Your appointment letter is ready. You can come and get it today.”
“I am in Yavatmal now…” I don’t know how I was feeling, but still I said.
“No problem, you can come tomorrow. After ten thirty and receive the letter. “
“I’ll come tomorrow …” I think I was about to ask something when the call ended from either side. With my half-tied shoe-less I just relaxed on the chair. The call was echoing in my ears. This is the thing for which I was waiting since two and half months! Finally, it was all set to leave home. Everyone was happy for me. I remembered quotes from many of my relatives, friends and teachers,
“There is nothing in this small town. We have careers in metros!”
“Once you leave home, you will prosper like anything!”
“You have career in creativity; you can’t get the job of your kind here! Just leave home.”
And finally,
“I’m Alok Tiwari from Hitavada press. Your appointment letter is ready. You can come and catch it today.”
….
On 4th July, I was in Hitavada office with one friend. I got the official appointment letter. Some clerk told me to meet Alok Tiwari sir for further proceedings. Then I realize who the man was…
He was the second head of editorial department; Executive Editor of the Hitavada, Mr. Alok Tiwari.

17 comments:

Anoopjaipurkar said...

Hi,
I am an ex-Hitavadian and so was keen to read your experience just before joining the organisation. Very well written and am sure you would go places with your writing skills. Only one mistake, and a major one: Mr Alok Tiwari is not a sub-editor, but the Executive Editor. A sub-editor is at the base of the hierarchy. Please correct it before Mr Tiwari spots it some day. Bye

Anoop Jaipurkar, senior sub-editor, The Herald, Pune

चैतन्य देशपांडे said...

Thanks Anoop Sir, you saved me from a great disaster!
Actually it was by mistake! I changed it recently. I hope, Alok sir too see and read the blogpost like you!
Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Keep up the writing work. And make sure you write something about The Hitavada's cricket team and its practice sessions.

All the best

Sachin Tendulkar

Anonymous said...

Hi Chaitanya

Good to hear from my friends in The Hitavada that you are playing cricket. They are a superb unit and you will enjoy being with them

Best of luck

Rahul Dravid

चैतन्य देशपांडे said...

To all the anonymous...
Thanks for your feedback. Next time please quote your real name; not the Stars.
"Dosto Ke Bhi Naam Hote Hai"

Anonymous said...

It is very encouraging to know that you have succeeded in embracing your chosen profession and joined Hitavada which continues to be the leading english daily of Central India. Hitavada, which was founded by the Servants of India Society, has a great history and has had some journalists who were held in high esteem. One of them worked for the newspaper for more than 50 years besides being connected with the department of journalism/mass communication of Nagpur University from its very inception. Hitavada was about to shut shop in early seventies. This journalist, with active support and coperation of a few colleagues saw to it that the paper not only survived but also improved radically in terms of printing technology, layout and news coverage. It is sanguinely hoped that a young journalist like you identify the said journalist yourself and try to emulate his teachings in the profession...


Do publish on the blog if you have identified the journalist...

Anonymous said...

Hi Chaitanya,

Hope you still continue to work with Hitavada. Have you made any efforts to identify the journalists described by me in my earlier comments... I hope a young journalist like you will certainly find it interesting to know about the journalists who have built the newspaper brick by brick...

Anonymous said...

WHAT LOUSY ENGLISH. WHAT IS A 'SHOE-LESS'?? HOW DO YOU TIE A 'SHOE-LESS'?? AND YOU GUYS SAY THIS PIECE IS WELL WRITTEN?? IT'S A PIECE OF UTTER RUBBHIS.

Anonymous said...

Yah! I agree with the last anonymous. Lousy English. 'Ranged'...? It is 'rang', dude. Get your grammer right before attempting to call yourself a journalist. I'm an ex-Hitavadian too.. and I hate what self-proclaimed writers did to the image of Hitavada. Take care (of your grammer and syntax).
Shabnam

Anonymous said...

Hi to Mr Anonymous from another anonymous! since you have mentioned that you are an ex Hitavadian, i wish you should tell the new breed of journalists about the traditions of Hitavada and about some of the eminent and self less journalists who were associated with it. I am not an ex-hitvadian but have closely seen one of its journalists persevered struggle for its survival. It is necessary that the present day lacerated journalists (if they go shoe-less their feet will obviously get lacerated) are properly laced.

Anoopjaipurkar said...

In response to the two very critical comments posted by two anonymous writers. Firstly, do not try to demoralise the youngster; he had just started when he wrote the piece so a word here and there doesn't make much of a difference. Secondly, my experience tells me that it takes a lot of courage to stand up and say "you speak or write lousy english!" Courage, I say, because making such a statement demands you should be flawless, are you?
The second anonymous writer was talking about "grammer and syntax". Poor thing dosen't know how to spell the word "grammar" and is teaching others to improve. Sorry, I pitty you.

Unknown said...

It was good to see you blog and the comments. I used to work in Hitavada and I was a youngster too when I started Journalism. I knew nothing about Journalism but learned it through the way. Critics will always be there my friend; you listen to them and take some positive feedback. But accept my congratulations for having the guts to publish what you think that is the most important thing.

Regards

Ashim Sinha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.