Saturday, July 12, 2008

A year at ‘The Hitavada’

It’s a year passed since I joined The Hitavada. This year was full of excitement, novelty, experiences, and anxiety. The year was full of changes too as I got a chance to work on Jabalpur Desk, Bussiness Desk (even if only for a week) and finally Nagpur City Line Desk of The signature English daily of central India. The year taught me a lot. Gave me many things. It moved me a step forward to be able to face the challenges in this new phase of life. The job anniversary would be the best day to re-view this journey. This would be the best moment to say thanks to all seniors, and colleagues those helped me a lot not only to survive but also to prosper in this altogether different environment.


Joining The Hitavada a year before was like a dream come true for me. Hailing from a small town of Vidarbha, I was completely unaware about the corporate culture, metro manners, and even do not know how to speak good English. Even today, I do not know much of these things, but this institution is indeed a family, which, when accepts you, adjusts with you and all your limitations. Actually, this is due to the accepted wisdom of the head of this family, Mr. Vijay Phanshikar, Editor. Phanshikar sir strongly believes on positive thinking. He notices plus points in you and make you realize them. He praises the good things you did open heartedly and encourages you to do better, which is the best thing. Right from the day one, he let me feel relaxed in the entirely novel circumstances. Phanshikar sir’s kind, affectionate and sensible attitude, his knowledge, his mastery over each and every sector of the business including editing, page-making, cutting, pasting, printing, marketing, survey and advertising and many more make him a perfect man to lead the institution. He is the leader, because of whom The Hitavada survived in adverse conditions. Not only survived, but also burgeoned, and emerged as a signature English daily of central India.


I joined on July 9, six days later than my batch mates – Gaurav Lakhe and Juhi Meshram did. When I joined, they were quiet familiar with the work, especially, Gaurav. We used to sit on sports desk during the day hours to make the practice pages. On day one, In-charge of School Projects of The Hitavada, Prakash Chilkapure introduced me to Tanveer. She told me a few basic things about editorial discipline of the Hitavada. That was the start of my training. Since then, I was introduced to various aspects of the work. I consider myself fortunate that I got sport desk for basic training. The Hitavada Sports Desk is probably the best unit in entire sections of the paper. Under the leadership of Assistant Editor Rahul Dixit, the sports desk has experts like Principal Correspondents Paritosh Pramanik, Roland Lanslot, and Senior Sub-editor Anupam Soni. All these have keen interest in sports activities and excellent fineness in attractive page making. Their understanding, efficiency, and speed together make them the best team. I used to sit behind Paritosh sir and Anupam sir during my training and watch their way to work. It was like watching a film in fast forward motion. In spite of continuous effort to understand which keys and shortcuts these two used for particular application, I never got the key myself. Finally, I used to ask one of them the key. Still, I do the same. I sit behind them, whenever I got the time and ask them a few new things.


After a weeklong training on sports desk, Deputy Editor Subhash Deopujari shifted me to Jabalpur Desk for practical work. The Jabalpur desk is one of the three regional desks of the newspapers. (The other two are Raipur and Vidarbha desks) The desk has the responsibility of the two regional supplements ‘MP Line’ (For readers in Madhya Pradesh) and Jabalpur City Line (for readers in Jabalpur) and an additional work of Bhopal Bureau. When I joined Jabalpur Desk, it was a team of seven working under the leadership of Chief Sub Editor Nikhil Dixit and Chief Sub Editor Ishani Pankule. Senior Sub Editor Hitesh Limachia, Sub Editors Ajay Udar, Nitisha Jain, Megha Sahu and Farina Salim were my seniors. The work in regional desks is completely different from sports or the main desk. Here, reporters send news matter and photos from interiors of Katni, Chhindawara, Balaghat, Seoni and other districts of Madhya Pradesh to Jabalpur Bureau. Here, Resident Editor Anshuman Bhargav, Chief Reporter Piyush Shrivastava and their team comprising of Ashish Rajput, Shivanjali Verma, ASK Dasgupta, Natasha Gyani, Namita Pant, and others manage this stuff and forward it to subbing or copy desk at Nagpur via internet. At Nagpur, sub-editors have to work hard to enhance the quality of the language of the news substance.


The experienced seniors Nikhil sir, Ishani Maam and Hitesh Sir taught me a lot during my stay on Jabalpur Desk. Here I met Ishani Ma’am who can guide (and would guide) me for my entire career. In one word, she is perfectionist. Her mastery over each form of the work, her temperament, and her attitude together make her an ideal journalist, a perfect senior, and the best friend. Here again, I consider myself fortunate that I got Jabalpur desk and the guidance of Ishani Ma’am during my initial days. I was transferred to Nagpur City Line desk in order to assist the reporting team after eight months on Jabalpur Desk. However, I miss the guidance of Jabalpur desk and I strongly believe that if I were completed a year there, my language, writing skills and reporting skills would be better than that of today.


After completing about four months at Jabalpur desk, I was selected to assist Business desk in making pages due to the staff-crunch. Here Prashant Dongre, the lively personality, leads the desk with experienced reporters like Rajiv Ranjan Singh and Rohinikat Matey. Pankaj Mohod, Avinash Iyer, Milind Dantale, and GK sir (I still do not know his real name, as everyone calls him GK Sir) assist in page making. I was here hardly for a week, but it was a refreshing experience. I became familiar with the new short-forms in finance and banking sector, introduced to several new terms, and learned the different kind of page making.


Most exciting thing on business desk is that we have to show our pages to the Executive Editor Mr Alok Tiwari for corrections! Alok sir is very particular for perfection. He personally is man of wisdom, an ideal proficient, and a master of his business. He speaks clear-cut, straight forward, and to the point. These qualities reveal through his column ‘Personal View’ in Sunday Hitavada. Like every junior, I was excited, rather scared when I went to him with my page. Alok sir never raises his voice, never uses slang, never talks in rough manner; rather he is a perfect ‘gentleman.’ He has an exceptional sense of humor. In spite of all this, it’s a tension, may be the ‘scare of respect’ which we call in Marathi, which never let me talk excess with him. I remember, some senior in the field of journalism stated me when my first byline story appeared in The Hitavada, “it’s most difficult to pass Mr Alok Tiwari’s test. If he praises your work, start believing that you really have guts!” I am still waiting for that moment.


I was restored to Jabalpur desk within a week as the staff crunch on business desk finished off. In April 2008, I was shifted to Nagpur City Line; the signature brand of The Hitavada, directly connected to the people which in true sense, completes the slogan ‘The People’s Paper.’ In City Line, we try to cover all important event, achievements, and news in Nagpur city. Being a second capital of Maharashtra and the centre point of India, Nagpur is a happening city. The Reporting team, works under the leadership of City Editor Rahul Pande, has experienced skilled hands. Shirish Borkar, Principal Correspondent handles crime beat with Kaushal Pandey. Ramesh alias Balasaheb or Tiger Marulkar handles Forest beat. Manish Soni handles Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) beat. Kartik Lokhande handles political and other affairs. Vikas Vaidya and Ajay Mardikar handle University and education beat. Sagar Mohod works on Railway and Law beat. Rajendra Diwe handles science while Nandu Andhare, Sneha Telang and others work on general. City editor Rahul Pande is the able leader of this team. Rahul sir, who is a gold medalist in LLM examination, has a best knowledge of law and almost all fields. The reporting team of Nagpur City Line is probably the best team in all newspapers of the city. I feel proud to be associated with this team, though, not for the full time due to my deskwork. Being a sub-editor cum reporter expects both subbing and reporting from you. I am interested in subbing and page making as well as reporting, but I think, It would be unwise to stop subbing for reporting or reporting for subbing. In this year, the unforgettable days begin in April, when I joined subbing desk at City Line and Reporting team simultaneously. On my editorial desk, all are youngsters like me. Sanjay Ranade, Chief Sub Editor, is our chief while all of us are juniors. Geeta Wanjari, Priyanka Bakshi, Poonam Hande are a few months seniors to me, while Yamon Ganguly Shukla and Elina Nayak are a few months juniors. It was simply great to be a part of this team. I am enjoying each day, each moment with each appreciation and each mistake. We are learning day by day and I wish it would continue forever.


Due to the friendly and cooperative nature of all section heads here, I have developed quite a good rapport with most of them. Press Supervisor Khan Sir is one of these. Amol Deokar, who works in Photoshop section, is another. Khan Sir took me to the press to see the printing. He introduced me with many technical terms like cutting, pasting, and plate making. Avinash Kahu and Vivek Vate from advertising section, Ajay Raut, head of the billing section, and Sapate sir and his team of circulation section are worth mentionable names. Deputy editor Aasawari Shenolikar and her magazine desk team including Iffat Jahan, Tanveer Sheikh, and Archana Purohit become my good friends. Iffat Ma’am taught me basics of page making. Aasawari Ma’am guided several times while making reports, and with Archana, I enjoyed the The Hitavada Twinkle Club membership drive. With Tanveer, it’s a precious kind of friendship I share. The Raipur desk, which was my neighbor when I was on Jabalpur desk, is now like my home. Narendra Palkar, the desk head, is a energetic, understanding and skilled professional. His team comprising of Anubhav Dabir, Ujjwal Khopkar, Justin Jacob, Gaurav Lakhe, Kirti Melag, Rubina Sheikh and Humera Meryam is a great unit together. Humera Ma’am, being my senior in reporting, always inspired me to work on stories. Anubhav and Gaurav with others have become lifetime friends. Sumedha Mahorey, who left the Hitavada for her further studies, was also a great friend of mine.


The most responsible desk, the head desk is main desk. Here, Deputy Editor Subhash Deopujari, another perfectionist in the office, looks after the proceedings. Though, I did never worked on main desk, I have a good word with all seniors here including Subhash Sir, Anil Rotkar, Virag Pachpore, Chandana Roy, Paritosh Vinze; and all friends including Hannah Sharique, Rahul Gawande, Dharini, Panchali and others. In Vidarbha desk, Anjaya Anaparthy is my good friend. In Systems, Ankit, Milind, Amit and Sachin are friends. During the cricket matches of SJAN, National Bussiness Manager of the Hitavada Susheem Koley, and others started knowing me. I don’t know the top most bosses like Managing Parter and General Manager Rajendra Purohit and Managing Editor Banwarilal Purohit know me or not, but I am sure that the way they manage the newspaper is really appreciable. I do not have experience of any other management, or something, but I must say that I enjoy each moment in this year, thanks to the full freedom, and timely good stipend given by the attentive, sensible management. The year passed was full of excitement, and hope the excitement would double in year two!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading about your work experience at The Hitavada. I started my career in journalism in the late seventies at The Hitavada and remember with nostalgia working with Vijay Phansikhar and Subhash Deopujari. Please give my regards to both of them

Ashok Easwaran
Chicago
(ashok3185@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

Nice knowing ur experience.i love reading the "hitvada".BTW I like the blend u made(on the top)

Anonymous said...

Hi Chaitanya,

It appears that you are not aware about the difficult times through which the Hitavada has traversed and who was the backbone of the newspaper. You better peep in to the past of newspaper and try to learn about some of its past editors who were recognised not only nationally but also internationally. You may consult Mr Ashok Easwaran who had worked with hitavada in the late seventies and get to know know about the journalist who was dedicated to Hitavada through out his life. Hitavada not only survived but also progressed due to his perserverance and untiring efforts.

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you mention Ashok Easwaran, the US-based journalist. I read his interview with US President Barack Obama.
The Hitavada should be proud that a former journalist was able to interview the US President

Samir

Anonymous said...

Hitavada, Nagpur.. a peep in to past

Hitavada, Nagpur has an eminent history. It was founded by the likes of Gokhale and Dravid of Servants of India Society in year 1911 and thus would be celebrating its centenary in year 2011. The newspaper was blessed with some of the tallest journalists of our country. The most remarkable amongst them were Late A.D.Mani and Late G.T.Parande. Mr. G.T.Parande joined the news paper as a cub sports reporter and through his sheer journalistic acumen and dedication rose to become its editor and later the Ombudsman and finally Editorial Advisor. He had an association with the Hitavada for almost 50 years. During his innings with the Hitavada, the Hitavada faced some turbulent times also but sailed through the same solely because of his efforts and leadership.

Late G.T.Parande, who was widely known by his sobriquet “Bapusaheb” was essentially a teacher and this his quality remained un affected even while he got himself immersed in the hazardous and poorly paid profession of a journalist. Journalist he was no doubt and one of the most devoted and respected in the field but he was also a teacher, a sportsperson, a born lover of nature and adventure and above all a friend and guide to innumerable people, who found in him a true path finder. His early years as teacher in the Hadas High School were years of extreme hardship but dedication to the institution and he was among the few who shaped and moulded the Hadas High School as a premier educational institute in the city of Nagpur. As a teacher, a whole lot generation would remember him for his guidance and also for his penchant for disciplined behaviour. This streak of the teacher came out in greater abundance when he taught at Nagpur University’s Department of Journalism. He even headed the department but as a teacher, he was the role model for other teachers. Hundreds of holders of the degree in journalism would ever remain grateful to him for his valued guidance. He would do his homework well before engaging a class and that was one reason why several universities across the country pressed him to assist their departments of journalism and mass communication. He was among the chosen few who were frequently called by various universities. He was honoured for his services to the cause of teaching journalism.

Journalism was a passion with G.T.Parande. Beginning his career as a sports reporter he rose to become Editor of Hitavada. But sports remained one of his undying passions and this was no better revealed than when, at the age of 68 years, he hopped from place to place to cover the Reliance World Cup Fixtures. His love for sports had endowed him with a very broad vision and objectivity which he practiced in the field of journalism. He considered objectivity as the hall mark of good and fair journalism. His devotion dedication to the “Hitavada” was unique. He had, in fact, identified himself with the newspaper whether it was run by the Servants of India Society or the Purohits. The changes in its ownership and ideological intransigence did not diminish his faith in the newspaper with which he was connected. He stood by it in the most difficult of times and even led a team of workers to experiment with a workers cooperative to run the newspaper successfully in its dark phase. He was instrumental in resuming its publication after the paper was closed down for a while in late seventies. As a sports reporter or as the editor of a newspaper, he was known for his fair play. That was one dictum that was dear to his heart and this he practiced with complete conviction. It was under his leadership that a new generation of journalists grew up and achieved prominence elsewhere as well. He was one editor who had no belief in the much touted “editorial arrogance” the most editors practice. It would sound conventional but fair play also is part of good journalism. With him it was not mere idealism. He practiced it as a sports reporter and also as the editor who assured fair play even to his critics as well.

For most journalists, retirement is the end of the road in the profession, but with Mr. Parande it was quite different and his involvement in the profession making it more relevant to the times was very apparent. Even to the last day of his life, he was actively involved in it which remained his consuming passion. Almost equal was his involvement with the mass communication department of Nagpur University where he taught for scores of years and with undiminishing enthusiasm. The depth of his knowledge in his all chosen fields was mainly because of his interest in everything that makes life meaningful. And he would also search for meaning in things that ordinary people would find dull and drab. That endowed him with a unique sense of humour.

It is hoped that Late Mr. G.T.Parande is remembered for his selfless invaluable service to journalism and Hitavada and duly honoured at the time of the centenary celebrations of Hitavada.

चैतन्य देशपांडे said...

Great write-up! This is the most important part of this blog. Thanks anonymous! I would like to know about you, sir.

Unknown said...

I am an ex Hitavadian and have read with interest all the comments as well as the original article. The Hitavada is a very nice place for journalists.It gives freedom and independence. There are many journalists in Mumbai like me who started their career in The Hitavada and have made it good. I worked in The Hitavada for fifteen years and still remember it with nostalgia

Anonymous said...

I have a long association with 'The Hitavada' as a loyal reader and I accidentally came across your blog.I have seen all comments.Some obsevations are harsh.But the issue to be addressed is how the quality of the paper can be improved.Quite often,I get a feeling that the paper is not cultivated properly.The edit page leaves a lot to be desired.The 'Vidarbha Line',of which I am a regular reader,is full of grammatical errors.The plus point of 'The Hitavada' is it's few advertisements unlike some 'national dailies'.If somebody has commented harshly on the paper,it is only because of his,or her,love towards the newspaper.We all want the paper to improve consistently.Yes,as one commentator,on the blog,said the paper has to think why regular columnists are deserting the paper.Critical views of readers should not be construed as a hate campaign.I feel no individual,editor or reporter,should be commented upon on the blog.Every editor has his own constraints at work and we should understand his problems.

चैतन्य देशपांडे said...

A few anonymous people and Mr Manoj, Friends, its very easy to abuse someone hiding your identity. If you really have some self respect, come out with your real name and profile, or simply accept that you are cowards.
And mind you all, this blog is not meant to abuse. Better you delete your comments, or I have to delete them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Veena, Hitavada gives freedom and independence to commit HIMALAYAN blunders, like you did and got away scot-free!! HAHAHAHA.
And Anonymous of July 12, 2009, who told you Alok Tiwari has calibre? He is just a clerk masquerading as a journalist. OK, Hitavada will go to the dogs if Alok left, but is Times of India doing any great? Kaun sa teer maar liya?

Faiz Wahid said...

Chaitanyya, thanks for sharing your experience at Hitavada. I'm not associated with the journalism profession but was very happy to read about your experience at Hitavada.

I also liked the way you were transparent about recognizing your personal challenges and being positive about overcoming them. Language skills are your ink if the pen is going to be your sword in this profession.

I wish you all the best for your career. I know your article is a year old and I hope you have progressed a lot since then.

Best regards,
Faiz/.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chaitanyya!!!

I came across your blog while searching for Mr. Phanshikar on the net, i am not sure whether he blogs or not on some blog site. I would be glad if u give me his blog ID of mail ID. By the way i read ur blogs and there are plenty of familiar names from ur Nagpur office that i can relate with, and a few of them I know personally.
by the way where are u now.

Unknown said...

Hi chaitanya!!!

Why does ur former newspaper show regional bias when it comes to greeting on some festive occasion.

I dont know if u noticed it or not The Hitavada greets its readers on occasion of some festival on the left hand side of the Front Page, like etc. Parsi New Year, Id, Gudi Padwa, etc, etc.

What i have noticed is that your former newspaper always fails to wish its readers on occasion of Tamil New Year and Baisakhi, two of the most important festivals of the people of North India and South India respectively. This is happening wihout fail every year, i have noticed it since I am reading The Hitavada since Nagpur Times stopped publishing. Is this deliberate or your so-called esteemed Editor Mr. Phanshikar and the MD Mr. Purohit dont know that there are a large number of readers or should I say thousands of people of the regions mentioned above who stay in Nagpur and also read this newspaper.

It is very shameful to tell u that these very courteous persons dont have the courtesy to wish its readers on occasion of their festival. Is this the way of journalism to show that it is regionally biased.

I am not new to this city, in fact i am a true-blooded Nagpurkar becoz I was born and brought up in this very city and several generations have lived in this state and city. So if u still consider these people to be great journalists then I am afraid please re-consider your thinking about them.

I would like to hear from u Mr. Deshpande. by the way, i still read Hitavada, for its local content, but the future is not so bright coz "Times" has improved leaps and bounds and is knowing the city and people by their pulse.

Anonymous said...

the comments on hitavada are really painful.. i do not read hitavada any more as I have moved by base from Nagpur..I remember the Hitavada of the days of Mr AD Mani, Mr GT Parande, et all and because of them i still hold hitavada in high esteem...

K.N. Arun said...

Very interesting posts, both from Chaitanya and the various anonymous one (though the some by the latter are quite offensive). I don't know much about Phanshikar, having met him probably on very few occasions. But like Ashok Easwaran, I had my early grounding in The Hitavada, first in Bhopal and then Raipur, when the edition was launched the first time in 1974-75. I have worked under Rameshwar Sangeet and Meghnad Bodhankar, both of whom I hold in high esteem for their professional approach to journalism that was not so common in non-metros those days. During my time in Hitavada, Raipur, I did come to Nagpur office on a few occasions. I remember meeting the legendary AD Mani (yes, those days he was a living legend, held in as much esteem as the bigwigs of journalism in Delhi). I also remember Sathya Saran, who used to be doing features for The Hitavada, and later made a name for herself in Femina. I have not seen or read The Hitavada in recent years (the last time I did was in 1985 during a four day visit), and so can't really comment on the quality or the direction the newspaper is taking.

Unknown said...

The editor Mr Vijay Phansikhar has issued directives that no former staffer of the Hitavada be allowed in the portals of the Hitavada.
Such petty mindedness is only to be expected from someone who has never achieved anything in journalism and is just a bag of hot air.
Is he even aware of the names that former journalists have earned for themselves on the national scene ?
Don't be mean spirited Mr Editor. Look out of your window, there is a big world outside Nagpur too

deepak said...

Hi Chaitanya, the sad news is then resident editor and now state editor Anshuman Bhargav sir is no more. He passed away a couple of days ago.
It's me Deepak Tyagi, worked for 6 years from 2014 to 2020 with Bhopal edition of "The Hitavada".